Sulmet or Terramycin?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ZepChick, Apr 17, 2009.

1. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    Our beloved rooster Mika died yesterday from an unknown cause and we want to give our hens antibiotics. We were wondering which is better to use: Sulmet or Terramycin?

2. ZepChick

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    We were hoping that we could give it to them this morning so any help is really appreciated!

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    What did your rooster die of? You would need to determine this before giving your hens anything. Giving them antibiotics without cause is not a good idea and is very hard on their systems. Are your hens showing any symptoms as your roo?

4. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    We use Terramycin, but I would hate to say medicate if you dont know whats wrong. It can cause more problems later if it is something else.
    How old was your rooster and did it show any signs of being sick? Are your hens showing any signs? Maybe someone here at BYC can help you out if youve noticed anything different with your birds other then the roo just dropping dead. I hope someone can help you out better.

5. ZepChick

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    We have a sick hen that is acting the same way. Our rooster was one year and one month old.

Here is a post from earlier about him:

My year old EE rooster, Mika, has been acting strange. He lives seperately from the hens and has fresh food and water 24/7.

Every day, he is let out to run around with the girls under supervision. We throw out treats for the flock, but Mika never really ran for the food, until recently. Lately he will be somewhat aggressive in 'fighting' for food. If a girl gets the food, Mika will chase the hen around and try to steal the food from her. He also walks up to me and even jumps for treats. (Which he has never done before) I think the reason for this is that he hasn't been eating the food in his pen. Every night the amount of food is the same.
    And he also hasn't been drinking the water in the pen, so when we let him out, he runs for water elsewhere.
    His poop is bright green. I know that he knows where his food/water are because I have shown him at least three times where it is.

With the hen she isn't eating or drinking on her own. And her poo is not green. She is seperated now because she was acting weird.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2009
  6. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    okay sulmet is nt an antibiotic as it is mostly used for
    coccidiosis
    and very hard on the gut of chickens just to be giving it

If the rooster died from adult coccidiosis it would be okay

Antibiotics will do no good for coccidiosis
    and if the hens were not sick then why give something you really don't know will help them

you would have to list what the rooster acted like? How long he was sick?
    what you are feeding the chickens?
    How old was this rooster?
    then we could help you to know what to do with them

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    If you can share some symptoms we may be able to help more. The medication is dependent on the illness. Since we're not vets and can't see your chickens, it may be very difficult to figure out what's going on there but more details may help. The only true method is a necropsy, but let's give it a go anyway.

Let me clarify why I'm asking, as I am trying to be helpful. If your hen has a virus, there is no antibiotic to help that..she has to fight it off and you can help her with natural stuff. If she has something bacterial, certain antibiotics work for certain illnesses..just like in people. And if she has worms, well she needs a wormer. We could go on and on. I just want to make sure you get her what she needs and don't waste any time with unnecessary stuff that is harsh on them and can cause you more problems later.

8. ZepChick

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    Quote:

9. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    USING TERRAMYCIN?

terramycin may help this time and 1 days is ite long enough to be effective
    are you using 1 or 2 tsp per gallon? Also teramycin is ineffective in 8 hrs so one needs to make it twice a day for good results. A week to 10 days should be sufficient. If not it isn't working and birds will get a cold again.

DO NOT use terramycin as a prevenative. It only makes chickens resistant to its effectiveness. NEVER use any medication for preventive help to chickens.

Also after putting in the water you need to make fresh terramycin water every 8 hrs
    It losses its effectiveness in 8 hrs.

you see the terramycin company was made by DEHEC in 1990 to take it off the market and take out the bad stuff which was the good stuff to make it effective

but when I was growing up 1940's thru 50's we used the terramycin with vitamins added at molt time so the hens would lay eggs and molt faster.

also terramycin was used in cattle feed for good health
    thus the american public after 50 yrs of use got allergic to terramycin
    I really prefer aureomycin and 1 tsp per gallon
    for medicating

to keep terramycin effective at all, you have to keep it in a dark cool place in tightly sealed jar like the frige This also after opening the pkg.

heat, sun, air and moisture ruin it.
    So take note where feed stores have it placed. Is it in a hot [place or does the sun shine on it. Generally they place it in a well lighted place so you will see it and buy it.

I personally would not eat any eggs when any medication is used for 10 days after coming off the medication

DO NOT feed eggs back to chickens as they contain the terramycin, it prolongs the time you can't eat the eggs, for the medication not to be in the eggs

Also I would the day that you take the chickens off medication start a probiotic course

recipe
    1 qt dry crumbles, 2 qts of buttermilk or sour milk
    to make the sour milk, take 2 tbsp applecider vinegar per gallon of milk
    1/2 cup yoguart
    first week feed 3 tbdsp per bird three times week, 2nd week feed twice a week, third and following weeks feed once a week
    and every day put 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in the drinking water when not using medications

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I wouldnt use Terramycin anyway. It's not strong enough for anything serious enough to necessitate antibiotics. In fact, it's best to never use any antibiotic except for deep wounds/injuries. And never treat blindly! You're only shooting yourself in the foot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by