Sulmet or Tetracyline??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PamB, Nov 11, 2010.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I have a chicken that just started sneezing today (she was fine yesterday) and has runny nostrils (when she sneezes, discharge comes out and gets crusty if I don't wipe it). I'm REALLY praying that this is somehow simply due to our extreme weather change we have had, but I have her separated and I'm keeping her warm/comfortable. I started to treat the entire flock this morning with Tetracyline in the water. I remembered that I had Sulmet on hand also. Which would be better to use in this instance? I'd like to treat with something I have on hand already. I'm also picking up electrolytes tomorrow and some more plain yogurt for everyone! Thanks for any advice/replies. I appreciate it!

2. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    Sulmet is indicated for bacterial diseases, but don't think it is effective for respiratory problems. There IS a lot of respiratory problems right now as we go into fall and the cold weather. I think the most effective remedy is Denagard, which you would have to order online. I keep it on hand all the time as I've not found things like tetracycline to be effective. As a side note, I attended a webinar put on by the USDA/NPIP folks last week and the chicken vet said that we should not be feeding yogurt to chickens because they do not have the ability to metabolize dairy products. I found that surprising since so many people use it, but that's what the experts say.

3. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Quote:Thank you for your response!!! I've been waiting [​IMG] Sulmet said that is was for "infectious coryza" on the bottle. [​IMG]

She doesn't have the other symptoms of infectious coryza, such as the watery eyes or swollen face at all though.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I've treated my chickens with both at the same time; I figured since I was taking them 'off line' anyway and since I'm pretty much feeling around in the dark here I'd do it. [​IMG]

5. kelar

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    HI PamB - the symptoms do not sound like coryza, but more like a mycoplasma infection (CRD). If this is the case, symptoms are usually mild in an otherwise healthy flock and mortality is rare. However, be aware that some people cull for any respiratory problems. I've found the Denagard treatment is most effective. I think it is estimated that nearly ALL backyard flocks are infected to some degree and symptoms flare up with stress or weather changes. While it is likely all birds in a flock are infected, some will show no symptoms at all and others will sneeze & snick and sometimes wheeze. Appetite is usually unaffected although layers may decrease in production. If symptioms get worse, it may be something else all together.

6. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Quote:I decided to use Tetracyline. She is doing much better. I was thinking CRD, but her eyes have been completely clear the whole time and everything I read about that talks about swelling in the face and eyes bubbling and closing and there has been none of this at all. She seems like she is getting better. Eating, drinking, preening, walking around. She is only sneezing a bit still and is also a bit raspy. I cleaned the coop out today and it was extremely dusty...more than I've ever noticed before. I used a different brand of wood shavings (because it was all they had when I went to the store) and I don't know if that has caused the problem. None of the others seem sick. I'm planning on keeping her separated until she is better. I do have high hopes for her because she does seem to be recovering nicely.

7. kelar

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    So glad to hear she is doing better. Sounds like it's not anything too serious. The mycoplasmas can cause the symptoms you describe - very mild, especially in a healthy flock. You might want to get some Denagard to have on hand if the respiratory symptoms flare up again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by