Sultan Bloody Mess !!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by IwannaBEaMERMAID, Nov 23, 2010.

1. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    So when I came home today, i went to check he chickens, and found my sultan to be a bloody mess !! The other chickens had completely pecked off his leg feathers and now the sides of his legs are pink and swollen !! I need help. I have already separated him and rised his legs with water !! He looks like he's in pain, and can barley stand/ walk. I need help!! WHAT SHOULD I DOO !!!!

2. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    People !! I Need Help ! Dont Do It For Me !! Its For The Chicken !!! I Think He Might Die !

3. buzzard chick

buzzard chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Toms River, NJ
    I would just keep it clean, warm, maybe put some ab ointment on it and let him rest. offer some pedialyte .

4. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    He only eats and drinks when im with him . . . .otherwise he just sits in the back of the cage. his poop that he made was very watery and had pudding consitancy stuff is white . Is that bad ??

5. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    The poo being watery is a sign of stress and will get better.
    Best thing? Place him in a warm dry kennel in a dark place and let him rest for the night.

6. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    He is in my garage in like a dog crate. its 3ft long and 2ft high and wide. Is that going to be warm enough?

7. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Oh, those other mean birds! My mean birds did this to my Easter Egger -- she healed really quickly with lots of TLC. One thing I wish I'd done sooner was to find her a friend. In a couple of days, find your quietest bird to bond with him. This will make it a lot easier to fit him back with the flock. I didn't see how old he is or how many birds you have.

Boost his nutrition levels with lots of good things -- yogurt, poly-vi-sol children's vitamins without iron, hardboiled eggs, any kind of fish -- sardines are a big favorite here. I make mine a "casserole" of rice, broccoli and salmon.

Does he let you hold him? Talk to him in a soothing voice and pet him -- it will help calm him down. He may fuss at first, but eventually you will see him heave a "sigh" -- this is a good thing as it means he's accepted you as a friend and that he feels safe.

Dress his wounds with neosporin -- make sure there is no pain killer in it.

Let us know how he's doing?

Unless you are having a cold snap in Sunny California, your garage should be plenty warm for him. If you can comfortably stand in your garage with just shirt sleeves, no jacket, then the garage is plenty warm.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  8. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Quote:Ummm . . .it's like FREEZING HERE !! well its supposed to be like 36F tonight !! They also pecked a silkie, but not nearly as bad as the sultan. So I put the silkie in there with him. I ''cleaned'' the wound, i dribbled some of that dark disinfectant. Put i'll go on a search through the house for neosporin. And yes he let me hold him . . . .i think he likes it because it get him off his feet.

9. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    How old are they? Are they fully feathered? 36 might not be too cold... Do you have any kind of safe space heater? Like an oil filled one that looks like a radiator or a ceramic heater? Is there some kind of bedding in the dog crate or a towel? Is the crate sitting on a concrete floor. It would help to get the crate up off the cold floor. Raise it up on 2x4's. Make sure there is bedding. And see that they eat before they go to bed -- eating will raise their body temperatures.

It's good that he lets you hold him.

Jenny

10. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    SHE . ..sorry, I have been calling HER, he. I guess he is faster to type. But ya, she made it through the night. swelling is gone, but its still red. I still think it hurts her to walk, but not as much. Shes eating and drinking (full crop). should I try to soak her legs ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by