Sultan Breeders please

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by IwannaBEaMERMAID, Sep 24, 2010.

1. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Well crap . . .since the start this chick was a little sickly and runt-ish .. . .. she died. she was a sultan. and Im sure the female out of the 2 that i have. So i need a sultan breeder or hatchery that sells hatching eggs with GOOD, doesn't have to be SQ, just GOOD sultans

Oh, and if u can help. Do u think my other one is a male, I dont see wattles, but his comb is kind red, im not sure if the hackle feathers are pointed, dont reeeaallly look pointed, and his tail feathers have like 5 degree bend, ya BARLEY VISIBLE

2. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
  3. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    oh, almost forgot, I got the chicks the third week in june. sorry, i cant remember the specific date

4. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    anyone

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Wow, I'm sorry. I remember you were really looking forward to them, too. But they get sick or hurt really easy, I've found. [​IMG]

Hatcheries don't really sell hatching eggs, I don't think (except for Mcmurray, and last I checked, theirs were really over-priced. I also don't think they do fancy breeds like Sultans). I'm sure I told you this when we last encountered, but chickenzoo still has my vote for best (if not, only) Sultan breeder I've seen.

I honestly can't make heads or tails of the gender. But I do have a funny feeling of 'roo'. Who knows? And if you haven't figured out why the loss of feathers yet, I'd be happy to help if you could take a few close-up shots.

Bare in mind that 'good' is a vague word. Good healthy, or good looking? And hatchery birds tend to be weaker strains because of the slight inbreeding and other factors, at least that's what I'm led to believe. But really, you don't see hatchery birds dying off everywhere so I'm sure this is just because Sultans are a weak breed. But if you *must* have birds from a hatchery, Meyer did okay by me. They ran out this year because of a poor hatch, so I had to chose a different breed for my order. But these things happen. G'luck again.

6. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Quote:Wow, I'm sorry. I remember you were really looking forward to them, too. But they get sick or hurt really easy, I've found. [​IMG]

Hatcheries don't really sell hatching eggs, I don't think (except for Mcmurray, and last I checked, theirs were really over-priced. I also don't think they do fancy breeds like Sultans). I'm sure I told you this when we last encountered, but chickenzoo still has my vote for best (if not, only) Sultan breeder I've seen.

I honestly can't make heads or tails of the gender. But I do have a funny feeling of 'roo'. Who knows? And if you haven't figured out why the loss of feathers yet, I'd be happy to help if you could take a few close-up shots.

Bare in mind that 'good' is a vague word. Good healthy, or good looking? And hatchery birds tend to be weaker strains because of the slight inbreeding and other factors, at least that's what I'm led to believe. But really, you don't see hatchery birds dying off everywhere so I'm sure this is just because Sultans are a weak breed. But if you *must* have birds from a hatchery, Meyer did okay by me. They ran out this year because of a poor hatch, so I had to chose a different breed for my order. But these things happen. G'luck again.

There feathers grew back, but ya. I was looking at chickenzoo, but they are in Florida, do u think the eggs would make it ok ?

7. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    I received sultan egg''s from chickenzoo along with some of her other breeds. The two she sent both hatched and were gorgeous here is a pic of the two.

ETA-She sent them to Portland, OR and I had good results with all her hatching eggs. If I remember right she sent 18 and I ended up with 13 chicks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  8. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Quote:do u remember how much they were ??

9. Woods_Woman

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    I don't remember, she only sent along two with my order of polish. I just remember she gave me a bunch of extra's and she was extremely fair in her price, you cant go wrong in dealing with her..Oh I just found a link to the auction I got in on, the price is there. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=290030

10. Woods_Woman

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    The sultan's were not listed in the auction, but I had talked to her prior in regards to them so she threw in what she had. Unfortunately I decided not to keep them, and the gal who got them said they both ended up roo's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by