1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sultan chick not doing well at all

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Felicitas, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm at the end of my rope here because I cannot figure out what's going on. This little one hatched Friday night and seemed fine Saturday while still in the incubator. After moving the chicks to the brooder, this one was noticeably lethargic. I checked for pasting - none. Today the chick won't eat or drink and spends most of his time sleeping. If I dip his beak in water, he'll swallow, and seem to revive for a short time, but then go back to sleep. Today he can't even stand up and the other chicks are just trampling all over him, so I have him out of the brooder and with me. All the other chicks from this hatch are doing great. Any ideas of what can be wrong and what, if anything, I can do?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  2. MarlaKaye

MarlaKaye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Felicitas,
    oh my, I'm so sorry to hear this. Pobrecita! I went through the same thing about two weeks ago. It seemed that the chick was unable to eat for some reason and at 3 days (how long their albumin holds up) DH, found it expired.
    I Hope that is not what is happening, but if so, I'm here for you. And I know this entire group is here for you. Y con Cristo, nunca estais solita.
    Thank you for your kindness to me.
    Your friend,
    MarlaKaye

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  3. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

The chick died.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry. We recently lost our Sultan baby, too. Although he was almost two years old, he wasn't healthy from the start and he was always my baby. I love the breed, but they tend to be on the sickly side.

I'll grieve with you. [​IMG]

6. MarlaKaye

MarlaKaye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    I'm so sorry.
    I'm sitting here beside you wishing it weren't so.
    MarlaKaye

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by