1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sultan drinking a lot of water and threw up when she was picked up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tweimer, Mar 24, 2009.

1. tweimer

tweimer New Egg

Mar 24, 2009
    My Sultan hen threw up water when she was picked up. Today she was constantly drinking a lot of water. Is there something wrong with her? It hasn't been hot recently, they have plenty of food (hen lay pellets) and plenty of water. She was eating her food and oster shell. I haven't checked her poop. She is free range (1/4 acre) during the day and shares a large coop with 13 other hens.

Age 18 months

Please help! Thanks

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    If you pcked her up shortly after she drank, you probably forced the water out of her.. nothing to worry about..

3. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Hi neighbor!
    Welcome to BYC.
    Sorry I couldn't help you out with Sultie. Maybe she was just picked up too fast when her crop was full of water, like jvls suggests. Let's hope so!

4. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I discovered my hen was eggbound the same way - picked her up and she vomited liquid. If it wasn't foul-smelling like mine was, she's probably ok. I thought mine had sour crop, but it was really a side-affect of being eggbound and she didn't make it after 2 weeks of trying everthing. She also drank A LOT of water. Just keep a close eye on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by