Sultan Experts - 2 males or ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ZooMummzy, May 13, 2010.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I bought these cute, but very high strung, Sultans a few weeks ago. They are roughly 12-14 weeks old. I was told they were both girls (we really weren't 100% sure because neither of knew much about the breed or sexing them) but for the past two mornings, one is trying to crow. Of course they stop when I come near the cage [​IMG] I have decided not to keep them because I don't want them for breeding and I can't keep anymore roosters so I need to figure out what I have here so I can take them to another swap on Sunday and/or sell them sooner. Any guesses?

Sabrina

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clara

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    Oh boy they are developing very nicely since you've gotten them. I was leaning towards one of each when you bought them, I think the last pic looks a little pullet, but I'm just leaning towards that since the crest looks less crazy then the first..I could be totally wrong since I am going by polish guidelines on the crest. I suggest maybe contacting Chickenzoo, she may be able to help you i'd since she is who I got the eggs from..Good Luck.

3. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Thanks Tina [​IMG] They are great birds and so pretty. I had a roo vibe from one at the beginning but blew it off since I really didn't know anything about the breed. You should see the little Polish....OMG she is so cute! How is yours? And thank you, I will contact Chickenzoo and see what she thinks.

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, Sultans are my favorites. They don't remind me even remotely of Polish. Much quieter and friendler, IMO. [​IMG] No expert, but as for someone who has owned Sultans before, I can tell you that both look like boys. My female didn't get that much red in the face until she was starting to lay eggs, and the crests on both of the birds are stringy. Even just looking at their body stances gives me rooish vibes.

But wow! What cuties. [​IMG]

5. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Sigh. Need more opinions I think. I'm not sure how to "market" them...as a pair or as roosters.

6. Woods_Woman

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    Quote:Thanks Tina [​IMG] They are great birds and so pretty. I had a roo vibe from one at the beginning but blew it off since I really didn't know anything about the breed. You should see the little Polish....OMG she is so cute! How is yours? And thank you, I will contact Chickenzoo and see what she thinks.

I'm so happy to hear your enjoying your polish, I hope she proved to be a pullet. Mine are doing wonderful and living outside now. I'll be bringing more to the next meet-up smooth & Frizzle.

7. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    i haven't raised sultans since last year but going by mine when i had them those would be boys. girls should have a poofier head not the elvis weird hair look to them and my girls never got red color to them like the boys did.

8. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon

I'm so happy to hear your enjoying your polish, I hope she proved to be a pullet. Mine are doing wonderful and living outside now. I'll be bringing more to the next meet-up smooth & Frizzle.

I do love her and yes, she is a girl [​IMG] I don't know if she will be able to live outside with the rest so I'm frantically trying to find her a little room mate.

9. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:I was wondering about the red/pink. It is very prominent so unless I get any different opinions by Sunday, I will market them both as boys and see what happens.

Thank you everyone!

10. Woods_Woman

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    That's to bad they didn't work out..Good Luck placing them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by