Sultan roo w/injured toe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stilldeb, Dec 21, 2011.

1. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    One of my Sultan roos has an injured toe - I'm not really sure what happened to it, but I don't think it's a fighting injury, and the only place there is any blood is his toe. He is in with his 'hatchmates' which includes another roo, but they get along well. It actually looks like he tore off a toenail, leaving part of the bone underneath exposed...like he caught it in something. It's been bleeding - not profusely but still oozing. I have been bathing it in antibacterial soap and putting polysporin on it, but is almost looks like that part of bone should be 'snipped off" or something(?) I've never had anything like this happen before. I have him inside in an isolation cage. Was thinking of seeing if my vet would take a look at him tomorrow, even though she 'doesn't do chickens'. Anybody got any ideas?

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Do you have any photos?

3. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    No, but after getting a better look at it today it looks like a broken feather shaft very close to the foot - heavily feathered Sultan foot. He probably caught the feather in something in his pen and broke it off. It has finally stopped bleeding and I think my 'home doctoring' is paying off, plus he likes being spoiled. Called a couple of vets and the receptionists were like - you want a vet to look at a chicken? If I said it was a Cockatoo maybe they wouldn't think it was so odd, he kinda looks like one (til he crows).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by