Sultan roos

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stilldeb, Aug 13, 2011.

1. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I have five Sultans, about four-five months old, two of which are roos. I thought one of them was sick, but now I'm thinking otherwise. I'm thinking that the larger, non-dominant non-crowing roo, Zeus, is just really intimidated by the other dominant crowing roo, Lightning. There is no fighting, and the intimidation is subtle and not constant, more like a little dancing and an occasional stare. Zeus does not challenge back, holds his tail down, walks away or lies down and closes his eyes and ignores him.

So...will they eventually work this out and be ok? They don't fight and they are still very young, but Zeus ends up looking lonely/ostracized. They are all very tame/gentle with me and I pick them all up, trim their crests from their eyes if needed, etc., even gave Zeus a bath the other day (white chickens with huge feathered feet/legs!).

deb g

2. mccaff mama hen

mccaff mama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I just saw this and thought I would chime in, I have two 1 year old Sultan roos. They are both very easy going, while one is more dominant they are never mean to each other. I just received my order of 17 Sultans, they all seem layer back too. Keeping my fingers crossed I get some girls for my Roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by