Sultan still has not laid an egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gpamela3499, Sep 21, 2009.

1. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    I have a little sultan Pullet that has never laid an egg.She is almost 6 months old. Will she lay on soon?

2. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    My Sultans were awful layers. I generally got 2-3 dozen eggs a year per bird. They seem to be late to mature also.

3. gpamela3499

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Thanks

She is a sweet heart and more of a pet than any others. I was getting very concerned that she might have something wrong that might need to be addressed

[​IMG].

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Seems a lot of people are under the impression that pullets start laying at 18-20 weeks. Honestly that's really early, only the more productive breeds start that early and most pay for it with health problems later.

She's start when she's ready, be glad she hasn't yet. [​IMG]

5. gpamela3499

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Thanks,

She really is a sweetie. She lives separate from the others because of her sweetness She has only one running partner a silver lakenvelder with some kind of weird paralysis on one side. They are best friends as long as she does not crow everything is good. [​IMG]

6. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    I have a young Sultan roo -- he just started crowing, and all he says is, er ERRR. So, I guess it DOES take a long time to develop!

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, Sultans are late layers and mature slowly. My rooster didn't start crowing until he was approx. 6 or 7 months old and my pullet, who is exactly 5 months old today, hasn't showed any interest in laying and is still maturing. They are very sweet birds though. My favorite breed.

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

It took my sultan pullet almost a year before she started to lay and then she laid 4-5 times a week for a few weeks and then nothing for months at a time. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by