Sultan won't leave the nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dpinmt, Jul 7, 2016.

1. dpinmt

dpinmt New Egg

Aug 18, 2015
    Montana
    I have a sultan hen that is over a year old and has been laying an egg about every other day regularly. In the last 3 to 4 days she has been sitting on the nest all day long. I have checked her manually :) to make sure she's not egg bound and have found nothing. If I take her out of the box in the morning she'll go outside for about 20 minutes but then she's back on the nest. She is not grouchy or popping up when I reach in. I'm a little worried that she's not eating and drinking all that well if she doesn't leave the nest. Is this just broodiness? Any help or advice would be great.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    She's just broody :) Either give her eggs to hatch or go ahead and break her if you don't want chicks.

3. dpinmt

dpinmt New Egg

Aug 18, 2015
    Montana
    Thank you, any good suggestions on how to break her?

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    There are a couple ways - sometimes just tossing them off the nest and locking them out of it will do it.

For the most stubborn ones, you put them in a wire bottomed cage that's elevated off the ground so that air flows under them. Put food and water in there with them and leave them in for a day or so, then let them out. If they try to go back to the nest, put them back in for a few more days.

5. dpinmt

dpinmt New Egg

Aug 18, 2015
    Montana
    Thanks for the great tips.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by