Sultans and easter eggers living together

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by denco5, Jan 28, 2011.

1. denco5

denco5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    I have two sultans about the size of the one pictured, I am guessing 10 weeks old. I also have 12 Easter Eggers that are 20 weeks old. Right now the Sultans are quite a bit smaller than the EE, will they ever get to be about the same size? Will they be able to live happily together and get along in one coop?

Anyone have any Sultans sharing the coop?

[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Your sultan is very pretty.

I have no experience with that breed. However, I have all my younger birds living together in one coop and that includes silkies, EEs, SS, turkens, SFs and meat birds. They were all brooded together and get along fine.

3. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    What a pretty bird!! [​IMG] I don't know the answer to your question, cause I only have 2 hens, but I had to comment on such a gorgeous chicken.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I usually don't mix chickens until the youngest are at least 16 weeks old.

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Unless they start getting picked on, Sultans will get along with anything. They are very easy going.
    We just sold the last of our Sultans, but they were in a pen with Jersey Giants, Production Reds, New Hampshires, Cochins, Campines, Orpingtons, and Faverolles for the past few months. No problems.

6. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Wait until they're roughly the same size to integrate. And read up on it! But keep in mind that during that time those feathers on your Sultans won't be too perfect anymore.

7. denco5

denco5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    So the Jersey Giants, Production Reds, New Hampshires, Cochins, Campines, Orpingtons, and Faverolles were all much larger than the Sulans right?

I hope I can get them all together soon, two pens is such a pain!

8. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Quote:Yes, the Campines were the only ones in that pen smaller than the Sultans. The only thing I had to watch was to be sure the Sultans didn't get bulled away from the feed. I just added a couple of extra feeders to be sure they got plenty of feed.

9. DelcoChix

DelcoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I have to admit I am not anywhere near an expert BUT we beagn our journey into chickendom with a dozen chicks, one being a white sultan, "Pip." We've come a long way in the last two years and Pip was raised with about 10 LF pullets and a bantam Polish pullet...last summer as they hit the hen age Pip, who had always done fine with the others, began to get picked on, feathers pulled from her crown. SInce her vision wasn't the best she couldn't see it coming and got pretty spooky, and she is usually pretty laid back (fabulous girl)...long story short, she has moved into the new cochin castle and very happily lives with two bantam cochins and a silkie, they have their own digs and once again Pip is looking beautiful, AND not getting picked on.
    I have no idea why things changed after a year together--they had the room, she wasn't a pest...and I don't know if size had anything to do with it, but I know that I will keep like size with like unless someday I ended up with a chicken Shangri-La and had a huge, safe run and mansion for everyone to live in harmony...but since that most likely won't happen in my lifetime, I'll keep the silly, small girls together and hope for the best..Good luck!
    PS: Had anyone ever heard of or seen a black or blue Sultan? Hmmmm...I still have a little room in the Cochin castle.....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by