Sultans - Does anybody know how to sex them?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by muddipuppy, Jul 4, 2011.

1. muddipuppy

muddipuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    I have 4 sultans that are about 5 weeks old. Some are turning more pink than others above their beaks, they are also developing two bumps up there, but the pinker ones have smaller bumps. No idea. Anybody else know how to pick out the boys are when it's possible?[​IMG]

2. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    I have two bantam Sultan hens. I too had a hard time trying to decide if they were boys or girls when they were young. I looked at tons and tons of pictures that members have posted. They are just like other crested birds (like Polish) in that girls have a tendency to have a very round shaped puff on their heads and it can be more smoothed back. Roos have a more messy headdress and will have streamers which are longer thin feathers out coming out of these. Their feathers are also more pointed on their head and neck where hens will be round. Go to feathersite.com and check the various pictures out. You will soon be able to tell. As it was with mine and I was so new to chickens I never figured them out til they laid eggs. Now I can easily tell they are hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by