sultans?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Sep 12, 2010.

1. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

are there and lethal gen to them? or are they hard to keep?

2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think they have any lethal genes, but I've always found my two to be more prone to illness than the other chickens. First one got a Respiratory Infection out of nowhere. Couldn't put him in quarantine right away and even when he was living with the others before he was taken away, no one else got sick. Second one caught a cold about 3 times. I've never heard of anyone else having this trouble. Maybe it's just mine?

Also, just like any other bird with a top-hat, they can have a little vision blockage. You can just trim the head and beard feathers down to help them see if they have this issue. Also, prepare to see some dirt. Crests and the color white is a magnet for dirt and mud. [​IMG] But I think those are little things that can be managed. I found mine to be well worth it.

G'luck.

3. miss heny

Quote:i am going to show them that way XD and is Mcmurray hatchery a good place to order for them?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Quote:i am going to show them that way XD and is Mcmurray hatchery a good place to order for them?

Personally I wouldn't buy hatchery birds for showing. There are a few people on here to get good show stock from.
    I have only had my Sultans for a couple months and they have been fine so far. Not sure if they carry a lethal gene or not.

5. miss heny

Personally I wouldn't buy hatchery birds for showing. There are a few people on here to get good show stock from.
    I have only had my Sultans for a couple months and they have been fine so far. Not sure if they carry a lethal gene or not.

well i could not find any breeders [​IMG]

6. ThePolishPrincess

You're going to show them? In which case, you cannot trim down feathers to help them see. Birds with obvious trimming should not be shown. That would also mean that special accomidations (sp?) should be taken at home to make sure they don't get lost or hurt. When my hen was young, I didn't want to trim feathers because I was showing her. If I didn't get her in the coop at night soon enough, she'd roam around in the woods until it got dark and then she'd find a random branch to roost on. [​IMG] That was not fun. It was so not worth the fuss; sometimes I'd spend over than hour looking for her. She was more worth it than the lack of trim.

Hatchery birds are so-so for small county fairs or 4H/small youth competitions. Just like with any other hatchery, you run the risk of getting birds that will not do well in shows. If you're really serious about this and really want to win, I'd go straight to a proven breeder with nice stock. Much more worth it. With hatcheries, you don't know what you're going to get.

EDIT: Sorry, slow typer. I know chickenzoo on here has Sultans (I always refer to them). Don't think the birds have been in shows but I really like them. If ever given the chance, they'd be the first I'd go with.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  7. miss heny

Quote:i am going to keep then in a run.

8. ThePolishPrincess

Good. [​IMG] I edited my post, by the way.

9. miss heny

Good. [​IMG] I edited my post, by the way.

i do have lots of chicken books so i know they can fly 6 Ft up XD cool! i will PM her/him about birds [​IMG]

10. ThePolishPrincess

Yeah, they can go up high if they're tempted. Awesome birds though. Beautiful and so sweet. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by