Sumatra Chick Standing Funny

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CluckyJay, Mar 13, 2011.

1. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    The two Sumatras we ordered aren't as vigorous as all the other chicks. One especially concerns me. It stands really upright and doesn't seem to want to eat. Birth defect? It can walk and run and hop over the chicks/perches but seems too skinny. The other one is visibly eating and is fatter. Is this stance normal? Its pooping but has runny stools. A lot of the chicks have runny poo but act fine. The other Sumatra doesn't stand like this one. I'm pretty sure for the most part that the runny poo is just stress.

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    that is very odd. it looks like a modern game or an egg bound hen! do all its joints bend okay? it looks like its muscles are all stiffened up. keep it warm with a heating pad or warm hot water bottle to relax its muscles and maybe feed a little plain organic yogurt. some fine cracked corn or scratch wouldn't hurt either. other than that, i'm not sure [​IMG] good luck!

3. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Its joints bend fine. It can drink and run and everything. It is so leggy. I wonder if it is just build like a game? Maybe its a cross breed, hmm. [​IMG]

I'm gonna baby the little fella and hope for the best. I wonder if McMurray will replace it? We only ordered two and I really wanted to have two Sumatras, not one. :|

Thanks! [​IMG]

4. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I think the chick is going to be okay. I made it eat a pea and a few minutes later it started to act normally. Good Lord, Sumatras really do jump, leap and soar! These two little guys can leap over several chicks!

5. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    sound like it'll be okay then [​IMG]

6. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    It died. It was acting poorly last night. My husband went to bed at 5 AM and we just woke up. [​IMG] I called McMurray and they want to give a credit. I don't want credit, I want a replacement. [​IMG] What do I do? The bird was ill when we received it. The other Sumatra isn't acting quite right.

7. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    I believe McMurray has a 48hr guarantee. They won't replace just 2 chicks, they must send the required minimum # of chicks. If they do replace your 2 chicks they will using packing peanuts aka roosters to fill up the empty space.

8. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I don't mind getting packing peanuts. I can use them as freezer meat. They just kill extra roosters anyway, right? Poor little Sumatra. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by