SUMATRA CHICKS 4 WEEKS OLD FEATHER SEXING HELP

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lilcougar4, Mar 29, 2017.

1. lilcougar4

lilcougar4 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 6 Sumatra chicks that are 4 weeks old and only can keep 1 cockerel and 2 pullets. I can't keep them all, so would love some help figuring out who's who. 3 have almost completely feathered out and 3 have barely gotten a tail yet. I took a picture of both feather types to show differences. 1st picture assuming it's a Cockerel and 2nd picture I believe is a pullet. [​IMG] 1st picture
    [​IMG] 2nd Picture
    I raised Bantam Light Brahmas last year and pullets feather out slow like this, so I don't need 2 cockerels and 1 pullet [​IMG]

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I think you're right with your feathers, though it does kinda suck that you ended up with 1/2 males and 1/2 females...

3. lilcougar4

I have done worst gotten 12 cockerels and 3 pullets Bantams from a hatchery before.....I also googled searched Sumatra Chicks to see if they showed differences in sexes, but nothing.

4. 100chicklover

100chicklover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2017
    Roo and pullet

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'd wait longer to evaluate - others may turn out nicer as they develop. Temperament is also important if you intend to breed from them.

6. lilcougar4

I can see that they are different, but which one is female and which one is male? I can't keep all of them otherwise I wouldn't have asked this question. I don't want to keep 2 males and 1 female.... I just want them for myself as a nice addition to the farm. I have several friends wanting my extra's and have put them off due to not knowing for sure who is male and who is female. I have read the males get into mischief and cause major fights so only want 1...... I had to have a 250-watt bulb on the ones with hardly any feathers, and the others with feathers are panting so had to separate them for now.....I know Sumatra's are a Rarer Breed but would have thought there would be someone that might know how the males chicks feathered out verse the Females. Thank you for your responses [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  7. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    The ones with barely any tails yet should be the males.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by