Sumatra Hens

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Whitney13, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Whitney13

Whitney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Malvern, AR
    I have a flock of 10 Sumatra hens that I am selling for $15 each or $125 for all of them. All 10 are black. I am pretty sure they are all laying too. I get 6-9 eggs a day. These are some of the most fasinating chickens I have ever met. I can call out "Icky Chickys" and they all come running. I can wiggle my fingers and click at them and Vulture my favorite hen will just walk right up to me to get picked up. It is a shame to let them go but I can not find a rooster to go with them. I will deliver them within 30 minutes of Malvern, AR. Will ship at buyers expense. You can't see it very well in the pictures but in the sunshine these hens have the most amazing green sheen to their feathers. The white spots and the stuff hanging out of their mouths is food. I had just fed them with mashed potatoes and bread. If you have any questions just ask.
    Thanks,
    Whitney

[​IMG]
    IMG_6953 by Whitney_13, on Flickr[​IMG]
    IMG_6967 by Whitney_13, on Flickr[​IMG]
    IMG_6979 by Whitney_13, on Flickr[​IMG]
    IMG_7052 by Whitney_13, on Flickr[​IMG]
    IMG_7033 by Whitney_13, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    IMG_6951 by Whitney_13, on Flickr

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Those look like fine hens. If my chicken budget was not already spent spent this month, i would buy a few. I just had to have some silkie hatching eggs. I hope you find a good home for them.

3. roysnider

roysnider Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Mena, AR
    We have 2 Sumatra pullets that hatched on Jan 2nd, 2011 and they have not started laying eggs. Thought for sure they should of laid an egg by now. They are in a barn that has 3 coop sections. They have a Sumatra cockerel born a few weeks after in the coop with them.
    The section next to them has 4 hens and a rooster and these hens have been laying for months. The next section over has 9 Black Cochins that are 10 weeks old.
    There are 2 nest boxes in the coop section with the Sumatras and there is a tall roost. They seem perfectly happy in there but have not started laying eggs. They do not get direct sunlight. There is a box fan in the doorway of the barn for air mostly on the cochins. The barn is connected to another barn that is for a horse who has only been in there for 2 weeks and prior to that it was vacant for about 2 months. The horse side has a large opening which allows air to flow through the two barns. We have green plastic chicken mesh between the sections and welded wire for the top and outsides of the sections. The outside walls are Metal and the floor is dirt. There is a section up high on the side the Sumatra are on that is open near the roof. The barn is tall because it was a horse barn for a Thoroughbred.
    The barn has been getting really hot so my daughter goes out and sprays the barn down with the water hose instantly bringing the temp down a little bit inside the barn.
    Does anyone know why these pullets have not began to lay?

4. Whitney13

Whitney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Malvern, AR
    None of mine started laying until they were 8 months old, some didn't start until they were 9 months old.
    P.S. If you have a problem with horse flies, keep the Sumatras next to the horse. My horses stand next to the chicken pen when the flies are bad because if a fly by chance comes within catching distance all the Sumatra hens will fly up, catch it, then try to steal it from each other. My rooster and EEs could care less about horse flies. It is really fun to watch the Sumatras because they don't act completely chickenish.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  5. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    people on here are always sellig, giving away, or selling or giving hatching eggs away, im sure you could find a roo on here.. otherwise to bad im cutting down as would have them if already didnt have to cut down on my larger chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by