Sumatra Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Rare Feathers Farm, May 27, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I was planning to add Black sumatras to my flock this summer, but after settling on "only" eight breeds of chickens, I've run out of coop space for my up & coming eggs...so I'm going to probably have to wait until next year before I can get my hands on the Sumatras...[​IMG]

That said...

I've seen Sumatras with both red & black combs. From what I've read, it sounds like they should have BLACK combs? Is this true? Or is red okay? I prefer the looks of the black combs...but I wanted to make sure when I start my search for breeding stock that I'm following the breed standards & not setting myself up for failure.

Thanks,

~Heather

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    They should have black or 'mulberry' comb, face, wattles, and earlobes.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Mulberry and black, not red. I prefer the darker the better myself. The red combs are a big no-no for me(I think it ruins the look). Like the one in the pic, his red comb and wattles ruin his look(for me).

Mulberry is a purplish color(to me anyway).

I have also heard that the mulberry combs actually get darker in the sun. I do not know if that is true or not.

-Kim

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  5. flyingmonkeypoop

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Yes, mulberry is a dark purple color.
    We have found that with all of our sumatra roosters that when they are out in the sun their faces get darker. We went and got a rooster with super nice type, had tons of spurs, and was just a great bird but he had a red face. We stuck him in an outside pen and he darkened up real quick. We later contacted the original breeder and he said that the bird had been inside all winter. You should never get a red faced hen, they wont ever darken up. Also stay away from single spurred birds, IMP and many other sumatra breeders single spurs should be a DQ.

6. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Quote:That looks like a different breed of game to me. But yes sumatras should have black to mulberry combs and wattles and multiple spurs.

7. flyingmonkeypoop

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I just looked at the pic and agree with what Kurt said, it doesnt look like a good sumatra. The legs are too long and the face is too red. The three good things about it are the tail, its not too long or too short, well carried. The comb is nice and small which I rarely see, and it looks like it has multiple spurs. The bird looks like a cockerel that hasnt filled in yet. It looks like it has some modern game in it, if you took the tail off the body would look just like a modern game.

8. flyingmonkeypoop

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I forgot to add, sumatras should have little to non-existant wattles and earlobes.

9. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
  10. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by