Sumatra resource

georgem

Songster
14 Years
Jan 4, 2009
North East Kansas
I'm curious if anyone knows of a relatively comprehensive online source of information about sumatrans. I bought six birds from someone on craigslist about two months ago, they were supposed to be sumatrans, two turned out to be cochins (the birds were young and seller told me this might be the case and he would replace them if any mix ups arose).

Of the remaining four, three seem to clearly be sumatrans, however one roo has a much larger red comb than would be expected, so I'm not sure he is a sumatran.... Another of the birds has a dark colored peacomb but I'm not sure of its gender yet.

So... any resources or feedback would be greatly appreciated
smile.png

I'll try to get a few shots of the chick with the peacomb after work. Here are photos of the young roo with a large comb and wattles -- that can't be right can it? It seems like I remember reading that sumatran roos occasionally exhibit different comb morphology when young, but I would suspect the deviations would be far less pronounced than this.

IMG_7358.jpg

IMG_7396.jpg

IMG_7402.jpg

Quote:
Yeah, even when while picking them up I (a complete novice when it comes to chickens) thought the two chubby looking birds were probably not right haahaa. In all fairness to the seller, he wasn't claiming to be a serious breeder, just someone with a few too many chickens.

Quote:
Thanks.

Have you checked out the BYC Chicken Breed Chart for information and pictures? It's a work in progress but I think you should check it out. Look at the top of your screen and click on "Breeds" then go to "Chicken Breeds Chart" where you'll find a listing of breeds. Here is the direct link to the Breed Chart page:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/breed-chart

Also note at the bottom of the page are additional links to different varities of the breed.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom