Sumatra

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Nov 16, 2010.

1. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

for 4-H i want to show Sumatra, but i want to know were is a good hatchery to order from [​IMG] and i would LOVE to see pics of frizzle Sumatras

2. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    hatcherys will never be perfect to standard its best to go to a breeder i think BoggyBottomBantams has some but youll have to double check

3. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    here is a pic of a frizzle sumatra she is molting. I sold her a while back
    [​IMG]
    keep in mind sumatras can fly very well so plan your pen acordingly

4. GypsyChic

GypsyChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    MO
    I will be selling a few eggs soon, if interested. Heres a pic of one of my roos.

[​IMG]

5. miss heny

Quote:well that could mean that i can get my mom to buy a bater [​IMG] is there any one selling chicks?

6. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:well that could mean that i can get my mom to buy a bater [​IMG] is there any one selling chicks?

Sometimes begging and save up pocket money could convince your mother. Why don't you take a look at the auctions, sometimes there are some Sumatra's.

7. miss heny

Sometimes begging and save up pocket money could convince your mother. Why don't you take a look at the auctions, sometimes there are some Sumatra's.

my mom was thinking of buying a bater any way XD well time to go see [​IMG] i will be looking hard this spring

8. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Quote:I am just fascinated with these birds. Dumb question, but do they have to pretty much have their own quarters, apart from LF, even if it is a covered run?

Are they at all friendly? Will they eat out of your hand, that type of thing?

Thanks! Your roo is so handsome!

9. GypsyChic

GypsyChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    MO
    Quote:I am just fascinated with these birds. Dumb question, but do they have to pretty much have their own quarters, apart from LF, even if it is a covered run?

Thanks for the nice complement [​IMG] He's a sweet guy. As far as living quarters, mine are all in the same pen and are kept seperate from any other breeds. I've heard other people state how Sumatras and Phoenix are "flighty" or skitish, mine are not...they come running (or flying, lol) to me everytime I go in their pen. They chatter and look at me for treats and do eat fruit snacks from my hands. IMO they are very social birds if raised that way.

10. miss heny

Thanks for the nice complement [​IMG] He's a sweet guy. As far as living quarters, mine are all in the same pen and are kept seperate from any other breeds. I've heard other people state how Sumatras and Phoenix are "flighty" or skitish, mine are not...they come running (or flying, lol) to me everytime I go in their pen. They chatter and look at me for treats and do eat fruit snacks from my hands. IMO they are very social birds if raised that way.

how would you build a coop for them if you are going to show them? XD i want to know so i can get a idea set up [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by