Sumatras - is there auburn?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by heritagebirds, Jan 25, 2010.

1. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    I have two Sumatra roos and one has dark reddish-brown feathers mixed in with the black on his wing. I was wondering if they have an auburn color, like the Javas. Thank you for any input.

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Sumatra should be black only, with a green sheen to their feathers. No red. If your's has red, he's a cull for color.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    What about dun? There are dun sumatras but the majority of the body should be dunn, do you have pics of him?

4. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Blacks are main color but i've also seen and had a blue chick, i have read that white are really rare and there are also splash

5. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    sumatras also come in blue. but it is not an APA approved color. I have a lonely blue roo looking for a home [​IMG]

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yep, the Sumatra colors I know of are Black , Blue, Spash, Dunn, Khaki, and Platinum, though the blacks may be the only accepted color, not sure on that.

7. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Bantams are accepted in black and blue. I often hear of blue sumatra largefowl being rare but it seems like a majority of sumatra breeders have black and blue.

8. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Quote:would love to give him a home if i had a place for him, I bought 3 eggs out of a sale pen at an auction for a dollar a few years back and got one baby (i think a cockerl) and the cat got his wing through my the wire on my make shift brooder when he was between 4 and 6 weeks old and he only lasted another day or 2.

9. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    I'll have to get a pic of him, I just got him and two others recently. It could be dun, as I was looking at some dun in another thread. I'll try to get pix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by