1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sumatras=the varieties?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Oct 7, 2013.

1. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

Due to the fact being the one breed I'm truely looking is practically impossible to find I am doing research on the second breed on my list,Sumatras. I am curious of what varieties are there, I know of the blue,black,splash,dun (chocolate?) and frizzled.
    I have read about their temperaments and for our farm they'll fit it.

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    there is a breeder working on Naked Neck Sumatras and another one working on Platinum Blue sumatra(Blue and Dun)

3. miss heny

I have seen the NN Sumatras... sadly as cool as theyxare I think the people driving by would have a heart attack lol

what about Lavender? *wheels starts to turn...plans starts to be plotted...*

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    dont know but it would be a difficult breeding project, at least more than dominant genes

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I have heard of brown reds and lemon blues, but both are still project colors. And yes the black, blue, splash, white, dun and khaki

6. miss heny

true I have read about some of the lav genes.

7. miss heny

Okay now if I remember correctly the lave gen is this?
    Lav+blue= 50% lav, 25% split, 25% blue
    If I bred the lav oof this cross to another blue is it the same? What about white?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by