Sumatras

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Whitney13, May 16, 2010.

1. Whitney13

Whitney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Malvern, AR
    I am new to Sumatras and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me more about them from experience. I have read all the internet sites but I want to hear from Sumatra owners about what their birds are like.
    Thanks,
    Whitney

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I had Sumatra chicks and they were SO different then the other chicks. They were really super flighty and somewhat mean to the others [​IMG] I sold them before they were adults because I didn't like them much.

3. Whitney13

May 14, 2010
    Malvern, AR
    I picked Sumatras because I needed them to be flighty so they can roost high up. We live in the middle of the woods and wild animals are always trying to break into the chicken house.

4. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    I had a sumatra rooster awhile ago. He was AWESOME! He fought off a hawk once! talon to talon [​IMG]

I ordered three sumatra chicks and they were really tiny so two of them died and I still got my little girl but she's seperated from the big mean chicks and in with the bantam cochins! [​IMG]

I really like Sumatras there one of my favorite breeds.

PS. my sum. roo died because he was trying to fight off a dog to save his hen [​IMG]

5. mschickychick

mschickychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Mississippi
    Sumatras are gorgeous and I love them. They are flighty. They will definitely roost up high. They are great broodies and the mother and father both help raise the young. I have never had any problem with aggression when brooding with other chicks. When I free range them with other breeds they tend to mind their own business.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Here is a good right up on Sumatras.

ultimatefowl. com/wiki /index.php?title=Sumatra

Chris

7. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I have two. They are two of my faves out of the 45 chickens I have. They pay attention to me and follow me around. They are the only two birds that escape out of the coop every day. I just let them free range. They seem smarter than my other chickens since they remember what little hole to get out.. If I come out side they run over to me and demand my attention. They can be a little mean to my other birds once in a while but never get to the top.

8. Whitney13

May 14, 2010
    Malvern, AR
    Thanks everyone!

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  9. Salahoona

Salahoona New Egg

Jul 23, 2012
    Same here.

10. championsumatra

championsumatra Chillin' With My Peeps