1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sumatras

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by raph, Mar 21, 2013.

1. raph

raph Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    This is Sid he is eight months old. I bred him last year and I would like to show him in future, but I would like to know what other people think of him. Personally he is the best Sumatra I've seen, but that's my opinion.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    what country are you in, here in the US they should have horizontal tails and the hens 15 degrees above that. Does yours only have one spur per leg? Here they should have more per leg, mine have 6 or more per leg. But he has good dark eyes, small comb and wattles. Does his face get darker in the sunlight or has he been free ranging all along? there's a sumatra thread that you can also ask for help on as I have not shown birds before.

3. raph

raph Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Hi I live in Ireland, since I read your post I've been trying to find out more about the Irish standard of the Sumatra, but I can't find much on them which Is a shame. But I think my grandad could point me in the right direction, he is getting a show winning Sumatra cockerel. Also he knows Fred hams and he would know a bit about the standard I'm shore.

Sid has one spur at the minute but I can see two more forming above and underneath his main spur. I don't know about his face getting darker in the sun
    Light, because Ireland isn't the sunniest place. He has been free ranging for the ,aortic of his life so far.i took the these photos quite recently and his face has been fairly red because of the breeding season. I will get some close ups of his spurs and other specific feathers etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by