Summer Ceiling Insulation Questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Eggs&Toast, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Eggs&Toast

Eggs&Toast New Egg

Aug 9, 2011
    I've just finished putting ceiling insulation in my coop (a small, renovated horse barn) and it has made a big difference in keeping radiant heat out of the coop. I took some temperatures and the coop is staying in the mid eighties, while the center of the insulation read at 105, and the asphalt shingled roof is up to 140...all on a day when the high here is in the high eighties.

Here's my question...

The insulation's kraft paper is facing out, but is it necessary to cover the insulation with anything to keep the chickens from pecking at it? (They would have a hard time getting up to it, but they have a high roost and might be able to reach.) Also, what would be the result of a chicken ingesting fiberglass insulation?

Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated!

2. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    [​IMG] from Oklahoma!

I would cover the insulation with some thin plywood or paneling. If your chickens were to eat a lot of insulation they could possibly die. It depends on how much they eat. I would not want to take that chance. Even a out door tarp stapled on the ceiling. Good luck!

Nate

3. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Agree with above!!! If they can reach it, they will peck at it and eat it. I had several of my birds eat a bunch of insulation, but they never had any health problems, just made a mess.

4. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    You can get a cheap 7/16" thick wafferboad for about $6. That will cover a 4' x 8' area. Good luck

5. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Quote:Hey we are practically neighbors! What kind of chickens do you have?

Nate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by