Summer Garden being planted this weekend!!!!

Steve_of_sandspoultry

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Eastern North Carolina
It's garden time again!!!!! and we can't wait. Last fall we planted winter rye grass in the summer garden plot, all winter long every time we cleaned out the chicken house we spread the litter in the garden. The winter rye loved it! When I tilled it the first time it was between knee and waist deep. It was so thick I had to till it 3 times to get it all chopped up and turned under. Should have added all kinds of good organic mater to our Beaufort County NC, yellow clay. This is the 4th year in this spot and it gets better and better each year - easier to work and drains better.

We have 4 or 5 different tomato varieties from the large slicers down to cherry's that we planted from seed. Peppers - they grew slower so they will wait another week-ish. plus the corn and everything else but the really warm weather stuff.

The spring garden did so-so this year. The weather was really up and down, warm one day freezing the next - super wet and then no rain for week.

I'm soooooooo ready for fresh garden veggies.

Steve in NC

Lucky ...... I wish it were time here, we can do onions, maybe potatoes...still have a little while to go here.
It snowed last night and is currently 31F.

Glad you get to plant your garden at last! Being in California I got a little jump on it...My husband made me some raised beds this year, sort of temporary ones that wont last more than a couple of years because I dont like permanent fixtures - so we made them out of OSB panels -
So far like you I have tomatoes - a few varieties of heirlooms and others, some onions, a few cucumbers, and I have squash seedlings up and ready to transplant! My peppers didnt come up so I'll need to try more...

Good luck on the garden! Spring is Wonderful!!

preppy*hippie*chick :

Homemade salsa!!!

That reminds me, must get the cilantro in.

ep.gif
I just remembered... I forgot the jalapenos!​

Back
Top Bottom