Summer Heat and the Threat of Overheating

Pretty coop and run!

They will probably hang out under the coop where it's shady.

To provide more shade, you could cover the entire top of the run with tarp or plywood or something.

Consider putting a roost in the run, so they can sleep outside (if it is safe.) The outside air will cool down faster than the inside of the coop.

Shade and ventilation are key for the coop. I have an open air coop and put shade cloth over the south-facing opening. 2-3 years ago here in Texas, we had a horrible heat wave with a string of days over 105 degrees. I thought I might lose some of the chickens. I had the coop and run (chickshaw type then) under shade, put out ice, misted the ground, plenty of water. It was rough. I really should select breeds that are better suited for hot summers.

I was in TX that year, Austin area. Part of why I moved. It was brutal on the humans. @Vicker, by "shade cloth", do you mean that stuff you buy on the rolls in the garden center of the big box stores? 6' wide, and however long, or precut at 6x15' that looks a bit like woven weed block? How long does it last under that punishment? I was looking at some yesterday, but paused before buying.

@aart - the kidney shaped pool. No chance you remember where you found that? Obviously, my ducks are going to soil everything water related, but that's maybe small enough I could keep emptying it. How heavy does it get? Or maybe I should stick with using a gutter as a water trough with a big ball valve or something at the end for emptying it.

Still thinking. Not finding misters anywhere, or solar fans - but given the FL humidity, not sure misters are a great idea anyways. They were great in TX for the humans though.

@aart - the kidney shaped pool. No chance you remember where you found that? Obviously, my ducks are going to soil everything water related, but that's maybe small enough I could keep emptying it. How heavy does it get? Or maybe I should stick with using a gutter as a water trough with a big ball valve or something at the end for emptying it.
The blue pan? Not kidney shaped, it's a toboggan, probably aren't going to find one in FL.
I have also used a pan meant to go under a washing machine(pretty large~24-30") and one meant to go under a water heater(smaller~18"). Both work fine and aren't too hard to dump as the ice chunks aren't that much water.

More coffee. Yes, clearly not kidney shaped now that I'm awake. Not likely to find a toboggan in FL. Our water heater plans are either thick black plastic, gets WAY hot, or galvanized metal which I'm trying to avoid. Maybe I can find a cheap "under the bed"-style clear storage bin.

Thanks again @aart, you are a wealth of assistance.

Our water heater plans are either thick black plastic, gets WAY hot, or galvanized metal which I'm trying to avoid. Maybe I can find a cheap "under the bed"-style clear storage bin.
That's a bummer, mine are thick white plastic.
Storage bin might work.
Key I found was something that won't tip if they stand on the side of it...so the wider and shallower the better.

Last edited:
So I have had my chickens since Late August of 2019 so this will be my first summer with adult chickens and my 2 week old chickens as well. I have read a lot of threads about how to manage the heat and how to keep your chickens cool but I would like to know some more ways of how to keep my chicks and chickens cool. Such as improvements to the coop and to the run.
I have 4 adult chickens and live in Fort Worth Texas ... it gets really hot here!!! I hose down part of my patio and the chicken run, I also put ice water in a dog bowl and they love it. Sometimes I have to hose the chickens with a mister.

So I have had my chickens since Late August of 2019 so this will be my first summer with adult chickens and my 2 week old chickens as well. I have read a lot of threads about how to manage the heat and how to keep your chickens cool but I would like to know some more ways of how to keep my chicks and chickens cool. Such as improvements to the coop and to the run.
Hi Lydia,
I purchased a swamp cooler for my girls. It's an indoor/outdoor Hessaire. It's amazing! I leave it on all day. Living in Arizona, where the summer temperatures average 110, it can be pretty hard on the chickens. Fortunately for me, I have a well and a large lot with mature trees and shrubs. My bigger girls I let out of their run in the morning and they find hiding spots. In addition to my automatic watering system, I run a hose with a trickle of water so they have fresh water. I offer watermelon from time to time or frozen fruit. The nursery is in the direct path of the Hessaire, so the little ones are cool and happy all day.
Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom