Summer Heat and the Threat of Overheating

So I have had my chickens since Late August of 2019 so this will be my first summer with adult chickens and my 2 week old chickens as well. I have read a lot of threads about how to manage the heat and how to keep your chickens cool but I would like to know some more ways of how to keep my chicks and chickens cool. Such as improvements to the coop and to the run.

Deep shade will work in most climates. To up the ante you can hose down the ground in the shady area to cool them off. Also frozen treats like watermelon, or canned corn with the liquid in ice cube trays, make a great summer time treat!
Thanks so much I'll have to try it! I had a wading pool and when they were starting to show signs of overheating I would put them in the cool water until there combs were a little more colored.

Depending on your climate, misters can help. We put out wading "pools" - rubber feed tubs with fresh, cool water changed every afternoon 2-3 pm when it's hottest. Spray trees/shrubs nearby if there's a breeze going through, the water on the leaves cools the air as it passes through.

Thanks so much I'll have to try it! I had a wading pool and when they were starting to show signs of overheating I would put them in the cool water until there combs were a little more colored.
No problem. Pool works but its it's not long til it gets pooped up! lots of emptying and filling. What general area are you located?

Depending on your climate, misters can help. We put out wading "pools" - rubber feed tubs with fresh, cool water changed every afternoon 2-3 pm when it's hottest. Spray trees/shrubs nearby if there's a breeze going through, the water on the leaves cools the air as it passes through.
Thanks so much! I'll definitely try those.

Back
Top Bottom