Summer Heat!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Emily1220, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Emily1220

Emily1220 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Florida
    I lost one of my girls today to what I believe is this terrible summer heat and stress. It has been around 100 degrees every day for awhile now. This afternoon my hubby mowed the lawn around the coop and run. I think a combination of the heat and the stress of the mower was more than she could handle. I found her several hours later. It was a horrible feeling picking her up. So please people, do what you can to keep them cool til the summer heat fades.[​IMG]

2. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    Did she have plenty of water? when it gets too hot outside I bring mine in and give them some water with a syringe to make sure they are drinking. I have also heard about people putting misters into their coops to keep them cool

3. abbey808

abbey808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    I am so sorry for your loss. This heat has been terrible. The best I have been able to do is to make sure that their tractor is in constant shade. I have been giving them water with ice cubes added, and some frozen fruits (grapes, watermelon etc) as well.

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I'm so sorry. I know how you feel. I lost Forrest, our little cochin bantam yesterday to the heat. I have shade fans give them water at least 2x a day add ice to their water freeze bottle and put out there. The only thing different was DD put the chickens up the night before and locked them in the coop with their fan of course and I overslept and didnt get them out til 9 am. they are used to me being out there no later than 7 am. Forrest was my problem child he started out weak from hatch and this heat was just too much for him. Please everyone do everything you can to keep your animals cool this summer. Looking foward to it being over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by