Summer is coming to a close

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by buc, Aug 27, 2007.

1. buc

buc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    kansas
    Time to reflect on how things went. Other then losing a few birds to the Racoons (which I trapped and killed 13), all the other birds grew well and are starting to fill the freezer.

How about the rest of you here?

2. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Well yes, summer is coming to a close. I lost a few to a daytime coyote and they have been in lockdown since. They are miserable and I am thinking of letting them out for awhile tomorrow in the afternoon. They want out so bad, I have been throwing grass in the pen but it is not the same. I hope the coyote moved on but there are many others. Just never had a problem in all these years in broad daylight.
    Mine are all egg layers and pets so they will not be going in the freezer except the one that will be outside this winter.....lol I have a good flock and all the spring chicks are starting to lay.

3. joebwe25

joebwe25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo.
    It feels a little cooler in the mornings and they are starting to smell somewhat like fall. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    HAPPY END OF SUMMER!!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. buc

buc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    kansas
    I had a great hatching season this spring, 28 chickens made it so they can be put in the freezer or held back as replacements.

I hope to keep 4 for laying eggs, that should give my family enoung for eating and for selling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by