1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

summer lighting in coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by inle54, Jun 24, 2016.

1. inle54

inle54 New Egg

Jun 24, 2016
    I have 8-week old chic's and they have been outside for 2 weeks now. I have had the heat light in the coop for the last two weeks since the temperature drops below 50 at night. Every night for the last 2 weeks we have been putting them in the coop at dawn. The other day they finally figured out to go in the coop themselves when the light turns on at 8pm. Additionally, I have it turning off at 5am when the sun comes up.

My question is when we remove the heat bulb in another week is it a good idea to use a very dim supplemental led light inside the coop so they can find their way back inside to the coop and perch?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    In theory they should work out that they need to be in the coop at dusk, just before it gets dark. Theory and reality are not necessarily related, so maybe keep a bulb there on standby, just in case they refuse to "follow the rules".

CT

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    My girls are in their coop before it gets too dark to see. I wouldn't worry about it.
    If your 8 week old chicks have been out for a bit and are fully feathered, you could turn the light off now. They should be fine with the cooler temps.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yep, they do not need a heat lamp anymore. My chicks have been off heat since they were three weeks old.
    The temp was only 10 degrees C.
    They will be happy.

5. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    Something along the lines of a child's night light. One of my chicken tractors has holes in top to fit tiny solar powered light that are for lining side walk. Nothing any brighter than a full moon.

6. Kyanite

Kyanite Loving Life! Premium Member

May 27, 2016
    SE Idaho
    Just another person in here to say that your chicks don't need the heat. Save yourself some $$ on energy and turn it off ;)
    My chicks are also 8 weeks old and have been out in their big kids coop for about 3 weeks. Temps here were 36-45 at night their first week out there. We hit 32 last night. They are totally fine and happy. They did get unhappy when we had week of daytime temps in the 90's though.
    I use LED bulbs throughout my house, so that's what ended up in the coop for light too. I only had it on the first week or so to prompt them to return to the coop at dusk. Now they go in and out on their own. They have roosts, but aren't using them yet at night. They love to play on them during the day though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by