1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Summer Storms are here...scary! **PICS**

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by chickenlickin8, Jun 29, 2011.

1. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    We are finally getting our summer rainy season here in FL. I took this pics in my backyard as the storm approached. It was a bad one and lots of lightning...I hate lightning!

I'm not sure what the white orbs in the pics are...it wasn't raining yet. Spirits perhaps ... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    [​IMG] Sorry but this is funny...you hate lightning, but live in Florida?! You DO know it's the lightning capital of the world, right? The orbs are dust being blown in by the wind from the storm.

3. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Cin,
    Yep, I did know that FL is the Lightning Capital. Thanks for the fast fact. Still don't like lightning or humidity here but we should be stationed in Hawaii by next year [​IMG] and those are BIG specks of dust blowing around I guess. Thanks!

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:Cin,
    Yep, I did know that FL is the Lightning Capital. Thanks for the fast fact. Still don't like lightning or humidity here but we should be stationed in Hawaii by next year [​IMG] and those are BIG specks of dust blowing around I guess. Thanks!

Don't feel bad, I hate Florida too. Dust always shows up like that [​IMG] So, I take it you must not be there by choice. I feel for you. Hawaii sounds nice [​IMG]

5. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    I mainly hate lightning now because it struck our home directly last year at this time. It made a hole in the concrete wall of the house (right by my chicken coop..they were ok) straight into our kitchen and blew out almost every electronic thing....computer, microwave, tvs, garage door opener, house alarm...etc.... $5000.00 later.....Plus it set some of the inside insulation of the backsplash wall on fire and smoke was coming out of the plug on that side of the counter. The attic was filling with smoke too. I was a nervous wreck thinking my home was going up in flames! We called the fire dept and they had to make a hole in the wall to stop the small fire from traveling up the wall into the roof. Thank the Lord we were home when this happened! Our home would have been gone. Thankfully, we were all ok too....that's the main thing. That's the reason I get nervous when lightning storms start up now.

Pic of the direct hit......unbelievable! It's something you hear about but don't think it will happen to you.

[​IMG]

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    OOh yeah..i sure do remember the lightning in Florida...
    Hope you all stay safe...

7. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Wow! [​IMG] I hate severe thunderstorms and lightning! Hubby will watch them pass. Crazy guy!

8. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    How exciting!

I love our storms here in the summer... in fact, I was just wishing for some more [​IMG] It's been a bit of a slow season around here... most years we would already have daily showers instead of just a couple a week [​IMG] But our storms are sooo lovely... with the rain falling down, you can just sit and listen to the patter on the roof and open a window and smell the fresh, clean breeze. I always pull a book out when it starts to rain [​IMG] Then when the power goes out, its so quiet and peaceful here.. just the rain.. and thats usually when the thunder rolls in.. once it starts those big booms, it always puts me right to sleep in the middle of the afternoon [​IMG]

9. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Had a small storm yesterday and Tuesday.
    Last Thursday's storm was the worse. A lot of close strikes. Had a bolt hit so close all we saw was the flash heard a pop and the boom at almost the same time. Missed hitting our JD 8850 tractor. Son was trapped in the shop and said he felt the shockwave from it.
    scared the daylights out of my DD and myself. My dogs tried to climb my legs to get in my lap.

I dislike close lightining too. Watching it at night from a long distance I like though.

10. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    It's raining here right now and only low rumbling of thunder isn't so bad. I like to watch it rain...except when I'm leaving work and have to get to the car...LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by