Summer to Winter Coop Conversion

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BWSY, Jul 18, 2010.

1. BWSY

BWSY Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    [​IMG]

That's the coop. It's changed some from that photo. But you get the idea.

My question.....What do you think about this?

I have some green house panels. The kind that is about one inch thick with cells. So I was thinking that I could cut them to match the sides and roof that are exposed to the elements. Kinda like a sun room. Attach them during the colder months and remove them during the hot months.

Weather here can vary from nice summers to extreme heat......to mild shorts wearing winters to record snow falls for this area... Richmond, VA

2. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Thats kinda what I do here in Ohio. I think I would at least leave the door undone for ventelation.The panel would heat up even in the winter sun.I use my green house to house the young birds in and it can get comfy sometimes.

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Where do you live? The requirements for a winter coop in North Dakota are entirely different than the requirements for a winter coop in Florida.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Ahhh...I miss Va. weather! I think your plan sounds fine...very doable. [​IMG]

5. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    I read the OP 3 times and not once did I notice the last bit about the weather. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Definitely sounds like a good plan for VA.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Lol, I missed the location too when I read it.

7. R&RCoop

R&RCoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    We live in TX so not as extreme, but we do put up full D panels in the winter and then take down the middle section on a 10x20 enclosed to give a good breeze through there, but still have plenty of shade, works great and easy to put up take down.

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I think that's a great idea. You could even leave a strip open at the top of the panels so that you can still get good ventilation.

9. BWSY

BWSY Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I didn't even think about ventilation. I have some time to think about it more. I'm waiting for lower temps before starting of this project.

Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by