**Summer Vacation plans** ~Im going to the OBX~

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SundownWaterfowl, Jul 2, 2008.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

What are you doing for summer vacation?

This year I am going to Outerbanks, in North Carolina. I am staying in Rodanthe. I rented a house on the beach for a week. This will be the 3rd time renting a house. I love it down there. It is quite a long drive. Almost 12 hours. I am renting a full sized SUV to ride down there. Im so excited.

Has anybody else been to the Outerbanks? If not, you should. LOL!

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    We always go up to Duck and stay...My kids like staying in Kitty Hawk.....Always have a good time in the OBX!!!

3. SundownWaterfowl

What are some good resturants? I usually eat at the Froggy dog, Dolphin Den, and the Down Under. I heard that the Top Dog Cafe is really good? Have you ever been there?

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    We always liked eating in...but have gone to Slammin Sammys and Kellys is a good place...I forget the ones the kids like eating at...I think there is a nice oyster bar.....

5. SundownWaterfowl

The first day we get there, we go shopping at the Food Lion, for grocerys for the week. I love eating the seafood. So good!!! I think I will go crabbing when we go down there. I read if you tie some fish heads to a rope, and toss it out in the bay, or sound, you can catch crabs.

6. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Boy Scout Camp with my son and then come home and going to the Brickyard 400 in Indiana [​IMG]

7. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    Have a great time in NC!

You can also catch crabs with raw chicken.

btw...Hansel and Gretel are growing and gorgeous!!!

8. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    My very favorite restaurant at OBX is Penquin Isle (Chef Lee Miller). The appetizer, fettucine alfredo, is one of my most favorite things in the world. DO NOT compare it to any other version you've ever had because it's not. It is thin, homemade pasta with a light alfredo sauce and the most incredible taste in the world.

Great lobster tail, wonderful filet and homemade mashed potatoes. He always has an amazing pastry chef, so leave room for dessert. I don't drink, but the wine list is fantastic.

I also like Owens and Windmill Point. Kelly's is owned by the same people who own Penguin Isle and M. Mike's, etc., but I just prefer Chef Lee!).

Tortuga's Lie is a great hangout for locals and is on the beach road. I also like the old fashioned road side burger/hot dog stand, Dune Burger for their burgers. I go to Miller's on the beach road for breakfast.

On the way to Duck, I think it's Scarborough Fair shopping center, there is a great dog store called Outer Barks...great dog stuff!!!

The Aquarium near Manteo has been redone and it is nice. I've co-owned a house down there on the beach road, mile marker 14 for almost 20 years, so, I try to go down at least a couple of times a year. It just keeps being built up more and more and I'm not loving that.

Have fun!! There is so much to do there!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2008
  9. SundownWaterfowl

Im bringing my dog with us, so maybe I will stop at Outer Barks, if I can find it. lol.

10. cmcgoun

cmcgoun Chillin' With My Peeps

A good restaraunt is the Black Pelican, great food and those novelty tourist shirts. I went to the OBX a few years ago and thats what I remember.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by