Sun bathing birds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crj, Jul 4, 2010.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I've had chickens for some time now. I know chickens do some strange things but there is always a reason..... usually. I would like to know why chickens sun bath. Honestly, it's been so unbelievably hot yet the goofy birds will sun bath. What is the purpose of this???? Are they trying to lighten their feathers? tanning inbetween the feathers? tanning there feet? Should I break out the sunblock???? naahhhh, just kidding. I just find it odd that they will just plop down and stretch out in the sun. I almost feel like getting them a towel or a tiny lawn chair! Sunglasses maybe?

2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

There's no specific reason. They just like to feel the warmth of the sun on them, like people do. I love watching them after breakfast, hanging, wing spread over body, in a pile. Rarely do humans encounter chickens actually not being so active and taking a load off.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Vitamin D. They need it too [​IMG]

4. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Ok, those reasons sound good to me [​IMG]

5. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    The best place to sunbathe at my house is right outside the back door :) Its extra adorable, A big round chicken with a wing up like a sail, and then they flop and stretch out on their belly... cute overload

6. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    My chickens love to sunbathe!

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I don't think they're looking to get a suntan, but other than that they probably sunbathe for the same reasons as people...largely for enjoyment. They certainly look like they are having fun when they lie in a heap with wings and legs outstretched, rolling over.

Sandie

8. Mare

Mare Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2009
    My EE scared me the one day. It was after lunch and I went out to put ice cubes in their water. As I was getting closer to the run I noticed Goldie my EE was laying in the middle of the run spread out. Usually I wouldn't think anything about since I knew they sunbathed, however it was 95 out and full sun:eek:. As I entered the run and got closer, she didn't even move. My heart dropped. Then I called her name and she got up and walked around as if nothing happened:ya. Crazy birds!!!

9. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Mare, that is kind of why I asked the question. I have had a bird scary me once in a while. I'd walk right by one and nothing. I would even have food in my hand. I guess they just take a nap but with the heat we have had I can't see how [​IMG] Maybe she had found the perfect spot.

10. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I had my neighbor call me absolutely hysterical that something horrible had happened in my yard, she said one of my dogs was dead and most my chickens. I rushed out on the porch to see both my dogs, the cats and 4 chickens all sprawled out enjoying the sun. It did look like some kind of massacre, but the victims of mass murder are seldom snoring. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by