Sun is back! Chickens cheering!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ban seabhag, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    Sorry,I know it sounds weird, but after 5 weeks the sun has come over the mountain again! [​IMG] You can't imagine the joy, human and avian alike. I expect the horses are frolicKing too. [​IMG]

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    No it doesn't sound weird at all, there is a reason so many cultures worship the sun, we need it!

3. Ban seabhag

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    And you sure notice it when it's gone, and you know it won't be back for a while. So awesome.

And Kudos to your profession! You aren't paid enough believe me and I know it's devotion that keeps you going. Thanks many times!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  4. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    5 weeks! congrats on getting the sun back! We still have a month to go before we get it back.... :C
    I live on the side of a mountain as well, and dont get sun from mid november through.... mid february. [​IMG] We don't get sun for a solid 3 months out of the year! ugh.
    I am happy for you, and bear you no envy whatsoever! [​IMG]

5. Ban seabhag

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    Oh man, you're back in the Valley aren't you? My husband's parents homesteaded in Eagle River and still live there. They are up on the Loop by Meadow Creek but still, it's sunless for a while! I shall not whine!

6. Painted Spirit

Painted Spirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    I can't imagine how ya'll do it up there! Do ya have to plug the horses in like you do the cars to keep 'em warm in the winter?

7. Ban seabhag

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    They grow thick 4 " hair and look like wooley bears. Then it falls out in the spring and they are swans. [​IMG] Actually its not colder here for the most part than the upper mid west. 25 degrees today.

8. Painted Spirit

Painted Spirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    This year has been projected to be colder than normal for us in Maryland but my horses have for the most part the thinnest haircoats this year than ever. Maybe they know something the forecasters don't know LOL! Yes, I've seen days where it's warmer in parts of Alaska than here - I'm still not brave enough to move!

9. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

well, in my country, many people expect the sun to hide behind fog or cloud since it's too hot here. [​IMG]

10. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I saw the title, and it made me giggle. I thought "I can relate to that" because we have been having a few cloudy rainy/snowy days, and the sun is finally shining.
    Then I read your post and was humbled. I can't relate after all. I know how good it feels to have sunshine after a week of clouds, so you all must be doing the happy dance!!!!
    I would send you a day of sunshine every week if I could. I

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by