Sun or green cheek conure I cant decide.

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by J3172, Jun 4, 2010.

1. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Our African grey died, I am looking into getting either a sun or green cheek conure, but I'm having a hard time deciding what one do you prefer and why?

2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I don't really know much about green cheek conures but I do know that sun conures are the loudest parrots in that family lol. They are very beautiful though. When I was still in high school and living with my parents I had a Dusky Conure. His name is tex and my parents still have him. He is absolutely the sweetest parrot we have ever had. They are the smallest and quietest conures but no conure is really ever 'quiet'. I just love them!

3. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    We have a green cheeked conure,bought him as a baby.We hand fed him for a couple weeks till he could eat solid food.He has been a great pet,quite most of the time,but has his moments.Very smart, they are not great talkers.Real people birds.We have had him 9 years and not one problem.

4. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Green Cheeked Conure - HANDS DOWN!!!! You won't regret it for a second. I can't find a thing wrong with them and I've kept parrots, parakeets, conures, etc for over 35 years. They are wonderful little creatures and beautiful to look at!

Sun's are very, very loud. Beyond loud! It's the major reason they are re-homed - often!

5. metraideanne

metraideanne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    As someone with a green cheek I vote green cheek. They are noisy (duh they are conures)[​IMG]. What I love about my conure is his outgoing happiness and his cuddly nature. He loves to lean against my hand and cuddle, get some skritches, grind his beak, put his foot up and fall asleep.

6. angelique_redhead

angelique_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    DFW, Texas
    I'd get a sun but only because I've met some very personable ones. I used to have a nanday conure. They're all noisy but I'm good with that. [​IMG]: Angelique

7. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    well I'm going with the green cheek, I have a baby yellow sided green cheek reserved!

8. roosterdog

roosterdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Throckmorton
    Green Check ..handdowns

Suns are OCD

9. EggAuct

EggAuct Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    New York
    Quote:If you like noise take the sun. I had one very noisy. But they are very pretty.

10. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Sun conures are louder than Green Cheeks but are usually better pets and are less nippy. But Green cheeks are much cheaper and have quiet a few color mutations to pick from. I've handled both but conures in general turn me off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by