Sun or Light

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rudderman, Aug 31, 2008.

1. rudderman

rudderman New Egg

Aug 31, 2008
    do the little dudes need direct sun, or is light enough? I have place for a coop, but willnot get direct sun.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hi and welcome to BYC.
    I hope for your sake that you have more dudettes than dudes. [​IMG]
    Light is all they need for their coop. In fact, depending on where you live, a shady spot for the coop is preferable to keep it cool during the hot days of summer.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    You can get a bulb that is called daylight bulb and it does work well...we have one in our coop for added winter hours. I picked mine up at Menards.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Direct sun wouldn't be needed but everything benefits from some sunlight. Light bulbs do not produce the same effects as sunlight. Incandescents especially give off poor light quality but even full spectrum lights pale in comparison. Sunlight helps regulate our bodies and theirs in various ways so a regular schedule of sunlight and darkness is needed for the best longterm health. That doesn't mean they need a completely unblocked beam of light just some unfiltered light, if possible not through glass- windows block more sunlight than we realize, every day. I would apply the same light requirements that are suggested for using artificial light to increase laying. That is there should be enough light for you to easily read a book or newspaper during the day without turning on the lightbulb.

5. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    my thinking:

if your coop is always shaded, maybe you can have a run that is in partial to full sun?

Or a tractor that you can put out where they can get some sun a coupla days per week?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by