Sun or Shade

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cackel, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Cackel

Cackel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Is it better to have your chickens in the shade or in the sun ? Our coop and run is in the shade most of the day

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  2. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    If I had to pick, I would say the shade. That way they won't overheat in the sun. However, in the winter its pobably pretty cold on them.

3. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    What part of the country are you in? Here in Maine, I'd only put it in a sunny area. In hot area, I'd only put it in the shade.

Wayne

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    What Wayne said.

Sun prevents dampness (which promotes heath problems, damp footing, odor and flies). Shade prevents heat-stroke. Pick which is likeliest to be a problem for you [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. Namaste Mama

Namaste Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    Yup here in AZ shade is more important, otherwise I would have 15 roast chickens.[​IMG]

6. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    We are in the fog belt of coastal CA, and the sunny parts of the run are still not popular! It can be 45 degrees and they'll still all crown into the shady part of the run.

I agree it depends on where you're at, but it may be best to include some of each regardless.

7. Cackel

Cackel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    I am in Virginia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by