1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    So, every summer we drink sun tea. Its perfect because I'm lazy, and don't have to boil water on the stove and wash dishes. I made a batch yesterday, brought it in and stuck it in the refrigerator. I poured myself a glass this morning and it was AWFUL [​IMG] it tastes sour. Its not that its too strong or anything, I like strong tea so I usually leave it outside for a good long while. What could have went wrong? I used the same mason jar and the same tea bags I always do [​IMG]

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:I make sun tea also and never had a problem like that. From a chemistry viewpoint, sour taste is acidic and acidic can be caused by some bacterial blooms. Possibly a contamination problem from either the teabags, the water or the jar allowing the brewing process to go awry. Have you tried it again with the same results? Try varying what you used to determine the source of the contamination.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    That's just it, I made it the same as I always do. This is the first weird tasting batch I've ever had. When you first taste it, its almost lemoney, then you get that awful sour tea taste on the back end. Guess I'll just chalk it up to my tea bags being off (they were the last 2 bags in the box, maybe they got wet or something??). I'm making a new jar, hopefully all goes well this time...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by