sunbathing on cold mornings

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by centrarchid, Nov 14, 2010.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My free range birds, now that it is getting cold, are changing their ranging habitats and where they hang in respect to incoming shade. They seem to make every effort to forage in areas exposed to full sun, such as east side of ridge running north to south. They also spend more time next to objects that receive lots of sunlight. Appears they take great effort to stay were it is warm.

2. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Mione do the same in the mornings they are out in the yard where the sun is. The the afternoon they go into the woods along the adge of the yard.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    The more I watch these guys, the more it becomes apparent they are trying to save energy at every turn. They avoid cold, wind, rain, and flying while lounging around whenever possible. It will be very interesting to see how they adjust behavior further when temperatures drop below zero with blizzard conditions this winter. Many will not have a coop but will have to make use of existing vegetation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by