Sunflower heads

How many birds and how big is the sunflower head?

I would think the biggest issue could be to many seeds=pigging out.

For bigger heads maybe break them into more reasonably sized chunks.
We have 8 chucks and seem to have a lot of sunflowers that have grown out of the blue,
We weren’t sure wether we could put some in for the girls or if there was something on them that wasn’t good for them,

We have 8 chucks and seem to have a lot of sunflowers that have grown out of the blue,
We weren’t sure wether we could put some in for the girls or if there was something on them that wasn’t good for them,

They are safe. I give mine sunflower heads. For a flock of 8 I would give pieces no bigger than about 6" around. I know that it is impossible to break them perfectly. Just estimate when you break them up.
A couple pieces a week won't hurt them.

I grow a variety called lemon queen just for the birds. They have numerous blooms that form 6" or smaller seed heads.

They are safe. I give mine sunflower heads. For a flock of 8 I would give pieces no bigger than about 6" around. I know that it is impossible to break them perfectly. Just estimate when you break them up.
A couple pieces a week won't hurt them.

I grow a variety called lemon queen just for the birds. They have numerous blooms that form 6" or smaller seed heads.

Thanks! I was pondering planting sunflowers next year, and this info is great.

Back
Top Bottom