Sunflower heads

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by juliawitt, Aug 20, 2011.

1. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    My sunflowers are done, so I have cut off the heads. These sunflowers made the white nuts with black stripes. I know they can have black sunflower seeds, but didn't know about these white and black ones. Can I give them to my chickens....just throw the heads in and let them pick out the nuts? Or do I need to dry them or something first?

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    You can throw the entire head in and let them pick out what they want. I don't know why, but mine are picky about some varieties. Maybe is has to do with the amount of meat in each seed. Most likely though, your birds will love it.

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I call it the chicken lolipop! They love it and it is good for them.

4. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    My girls must be from the 'short' bus....they just looked at the heads like I was crazy. However, I broke up the heads and started scattering the seeds...well, that was a different story. They still haven't realized the seeds came from the flower heads but, they are eating them if I do all the hard work...LOL

5. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Quote:lol! [​IMG]
    I did this the other day, they totally just stared at me like "what the heck is that thing" but once I broke those seeds out, it was a chicken feeding frenzy!!

6. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I cut them off and put them through the soars of the run. It is the only time the cooperate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by