Sunflower heads.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bearz, Sep 22, 2008.

1. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    DS grew this tremendous sunflower plant. Probably 20 heads on it. I've seen it mentioned that sunflower seeds, hull and and all, are OK for chickens. Really? I can't imagine, but if you all say its OK I'll let him put one in there every once in awhile for a treat.

2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Yes, they are a great source of protein for chickens. They eat the entire thing. I give my hens BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds).

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  3. OrpingtonDad

OrpingtonDad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    My 22 week old Buff Orpingtons discovered my Mammoth Sunflowers meant for family consumtion in the last week or so. I can't keep them away now. They love em. [​IMG]

I agree with DouglasPeeps. They're very high in protein, I can't see how they could hurt.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sure they can eat it. My guess is that if you have a sunflower with 20 heads and one base, it's a lemon queen or some other ornamental type. They don't have very meaty seeds, but if the chickens eat them, they eat them!

5. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    I grow them every year for my girls & to sell at the local farmers market.
    I cut the heads off and hang them in the garage rafters to dry out. once dried, i shake the seeds off the heads into 5 gallon buckets for later.
    they sell well at the farmers market if you drizzle melted suet onto them and let that harden. then folks can put them out in the winter for energy/feed.

6. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    I have a lot of volunteer sunflowers and throw the whole plant (or branch, if there is more than one head) in the run. They not only pick out the seeds but enjoy the leaves as well.

7. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    I've got a giant sunflower head in the stall with the chicks. They took a few days to figure out that they're edible and the fact that there's some left makes me think most still haven't, but they're definitely making progress!

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I just ripped out my 10' sun flower plant, and I gave the chickens the heads of the sunflowers. They love them, especially the sebrights.

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I made the mistake of throwing some sunflower heads to my hens. They proceeded to jump up and try to snag the remaining heads whenever they were out. Mine are ornamental, but you wouldn't know it to watch my hens fight for those heads!!

10. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Do chickens like suet/seed blocks in the wintertime?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by