Sunflower seed price hike. Worldwide or local?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sparklee, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Sparklee

Sparklee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Sunflower seeds have gone up for a 50 pound bag from $22 in May to $32 the other day. What gives? This sort of price increase can't possibly be attributed to inflation alone. So what's up? Anyone know?

And yes, these are necessary for our feed as it's the chickens' "fat" source since we don't use soy.

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:
    And yes, these are necessary for our feed as it's the chickens' "fat" source since we don't use soy.

Isn't that a little over kill using Sunflower Seed to replace the fat of Soybean Meal?
    Soybean Meal is only 3 to 6 percent fat where Black Oil Sunflower Seeds are around 28 percent fat.

Chris​

3. nop169

nop169 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    I don't know the reason why but here in upstate sc it has gone up from $18.00 per 50 lbs a few months ago to currently $36.00 per 50 lb (good clean black oil seed). I do know that many of the chain restraunts started using sunflower oil last year & caused a shortage & price increase but as too current reason ?????

4. Merryment

Merryment Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    The price might come down after the harvest, which should be immanent. Or not, If they're having drought problems in Kansas and other states that grow lots of sunflower. [​IMG]

5. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    The reason has much to do with cost of fuel and processing having gone up so high.... Not likely to get any relief anytime soon.

6. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    I give my hens finely chopped cooked bacon a couple times a week. I mix it in cooked brown rice. They love it.

pam in TX

7. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    The price of black oil sunflower seeds is way up here, too. Its a global supply and demand issue, with drought and energy prices pushing it up, as well as ever increasing demand from consumers in places like China and India. China's economy is on fire, they had almost 10% GDP gain in the second quarter. They are much more affluent than years ago and can afford imported items like American sunflower oil. Plus the fact that companies like Lays switched to sunflower oil as a "healthy" alternative to soy and canola for their snack foods.

Black gold, basically.

8. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Also I am hearing some corn gossip, Seems that some places are having a hard year and the price is about skyrocket.
    Not good if you buy feed.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

A good portion of our state that grow grains as well as a lot of Oklahoma and Texas are in a drought. Speaking from our area the dryland corn is for lots of areas a total loss. It's being chopped for silage or baled for hay. Even our irrigated corn probably will take a hit in bushels produced simply because of the 100+ temps we've been having during the critical pollination time. The dryland soybeans are also on the verge of being a total loss. Sunflowers probably more than the others simply because of their long taproot will weather the lack of rain a little better if they were planted early enough. A lot of guys double crop them into their wheat stubble about this time of summer and I doubt with pretty much no subsoil moisture that very many will be doing that this year.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  10. LoDoSilkies

LoDoSilkies Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Lower midwest is in a serious drought that's killing off crops. Upper midwest is flooding something horrible that's killing off crops.

Price increase due to suspected lack of supply in the future.

There is an increase in use of sunflower oil in products.

Price increase due to higher demand.

I don't get the desire to use sunflower over soy. Sunflower oil has some studies showing that it increases cancer risk also. Once I get home, I'll dig them out.

I prefer to use a manner of all things can be bad in excess, some things may be bad in all forms, but most things are ok in moderation. So the ladies get some sunflower seeds and some soy, not a bunch of either, and they seem to be doing fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by