Sunflower seeds for 12wk old pullets?

2DogsFarm

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
NW Indiana
OK to feed black oil sunflower seeds in the hulls to my 12wk olds?

I haven't started feeding grit yet, they get grower crumbles and treats are soft - yogurt with cooked oatmeal, clover and greens from the yard with the occasional handful of crimped oats to scratch for.

If it is okay to feed the sunflower seeds, should I start feeding chick grit too?
Is parakeet gravel an acceptable form of grit?

They are growing like weeds!

cw

Songster
11 Years
Jan 11, 2009
green co.
i have been researching the whole sunflower thing. yes feed to them they should be just fine, but i would have started them on the grit at 5 days old,

mediazeal

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
hmm, I feed grit when I give greens and oatmeal, etc. The only thing they dont' need grit for is hard boiled egg and yogurt, or so I was led to believe.

I got 'Chick Grit' from the feed store. I was afraid of the calcium added to other things. Maybe others can chime in with more expert help.

cw

Songster
11 Years
Jan 11, 2009
green co.
they need grit to chew there food not just for the calsium, do they get to free range any? receently i culled to male guineas to eat, and opened them up you would surprised at whats in there (larger rock then what i fiqured) (and a ton of broken glass,)

lunkerchicken

Songster
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
I give mine unsalted, out of the shell sunflower seeds. I feed them this every now and again as one of there many treats on there menu (spoiled rotten)
Last night was yogurt. I put the bowl down and ran for the hills!!! It's like putting a mixer in a mixing bowl - stuff flies everywhere!! It is quite comical to watch, from a distance!

cw

Songster
11 Years
Jan 11, 2009
green co.
no not providing enough grit leads to compacted crops, if a small robin can eat them, how come a chicken can not?

cw

Songster
11 Years
Jan 11, 2009
green co.
i dont beleive there is no reason why a chicken cant eat sunflowers, if every small bird in the world can eat them surly a large chicken could handle them (or thats at least the extension office says)

Top Bottom