sunflower seeds for easier egg passage?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chkinut, Aug 25, 2010.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i just read on another post that sunflower seeds are good for egg passing cuz of the oil. i didn't wanna hijack the other post with this question.....but do i buy them already shelled or whole? and are they healthy for the girls? or do i need to watch their consumption of the seeds?

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I get mine in the shell, like for wild birds... Black Oil Sunflower Seeds... BOSS.

3. tasymo

tasymo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Mulliken
    I buy black oil sunflower seeds in 40 lb bags at the same time that I buy my scratch, then mix them half and half. My Girls LOVE the extra BOSS, and don't eat as much corn.

4. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

mmaddie's mom :

I get mine in the shell, like for wild birds... Black Oil Sunflower Seeds... BOSS.

X2​

5. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    I hadn't heard of this. I lost a Dominique not to long ago...pretty sure she was eggbound. [​IMG]

My next run to the feed store, I'll pick some up.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:We do the same here. They'll pick out the sunflower seeds first, before eating the other seeds and corn.

7. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

DH bought a Turkey/Game Bird (24% protein) feed last week ($4/bag less than Purina FR). Yesterday I had him get a bag of BOSS (15% protein) since I was running out and today I mixed them together. My girls seem to like the combination; will see how they do. I'd been throwing the BOSS as scratch in the run each morning but found they didn't always find the seeds in the sand...hate to waste $$...that is why I mixed with the feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by