sunflower seeds

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by amberthompson, Jan 31, 2016.

1. amberthompson

amberthompson New Egg

Sep 20, 2015
    Cobbtown, Ga
    I have been seeing where salt is bad for chickens. I have 1 black orpington and she loves salty sunflower seeds... Will this hurt her if fed in moderation?

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] from Middle Georgia - have passed through your town in the past on the Wiregrass Trail.

I bet she just likes the seeds whether or not salty - why not just offer those without the salt?

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. The sunflower seeds should be fine for her as long as they don't constitute too much of her diet. Treats should make up less than 10% of a chicken's diet. Commercial feeds are specially formulated to meet all of a chicken's nutritional needs and too many treats will make them fat and unhealthy. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would opt for the unsalted variety - you can also get unsalted pumpkin seeds.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG]
    Hi and welcome to BYC My chickens go bonkers for millet, but i just give them a handful each day.

Glad that you have joined us.

All the best

CT

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

I would have to agree all poultry enjoy seeds but after you finish the bag get them some unsalted [​IMG]

Try the BYC Learning Center it's got some great Info [​IMG]

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. I feed mine the wild bird seed as scratch. My girls go right for the sunflower seeds. :)

9. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by