Sunflower seeds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by coltsfan, May 13, 2011.

1. coltsfan

coltsfan Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Bedford,IN
    I just got through planting a bunch of sunflowers in my garden for myself and possibly for the chickens for some extra protein and cheap feed:D I was wondering if i would have to de-hull the seeds before feeding it to them. I wouldnt think it would hurt them to swallow the seeds whole, but im not sure if they would be able to digest the inside kernal where the protein is. Thoughts?

2. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I've fed mine whole sunflower seeds before. Just remember not to give them to many at once because the'll get the poops.

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    They eat them whole, just like the wild birds.

There is no need to even remove the seeds from the flower head. They are pretty good at doing it themselves. I've grown sunflowers for chickens in the past. When the seeds were ready I'd just cut the flower heads from the plants, spread them out on the porch to dry, and then put them into a large plastic tote. I'd then throw whole heads out in the yard for the hens to pick apart. Sometimes I'd break the heads in half to get them started.

4. coltsfan

coltsfan Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Bedford,IN
    ok great,thanx for the tips [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by