Sunflower seeds?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mchilli25, Nov 1, 2011.

1. mchilli25

mchilli25 New Egg

Nov 1, 2011
    Should sunflower seeds be only used as a treat or is it ok to put them in with the regular food? Also, should I make sure that the feeder is always full or should I let them go for a day without a endless supply of food? I put a chicken scratch and layer blend in the feeder pretty much everyday. Too much? I feel like they eat way too much, but they seem happy. I have 5 hens all assorted breeds and they are about 5-6 months old. Thank you for any thoughts on this matter.

2. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    We have feed available 24/7 - I top it off each night to make sure they've got plenty for that early morning breakfast.

Sunflower seeds are a great treat - but the feed is milled with the proper vitamin mix for your hens.

Treats are your preference - certainly my meals taste better with a nice dessert with 'em! I don't think you can 'over' treat a chicken. Ours get feed, oyster shell and grit as free offering all day. They get lunchtime treats and before bed treats if I can get there before it gets dark! Yes, they eat a lot of foodstuffs for their size - but look at what they give us in exchange! [​IMG]

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I buy BOSS when it's on sale. I mix it with their regular feed.

4. mchilli25

mchilli25 New Egg

Nov 1, 2011
    Thank you! I feel better that I am not hurting them by overfeeding. Thanks again evryone![​IMG]

5. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    Quote:I WISH it would go on sale some time soon. Its been sitting at $28.99 for a 40lb bag for weeks now at my local TSC. That's by far the lowest price I've found. Another local store had 20 lb bags for $18.99...which is ridiculous.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I WISH it would go on sale some time soon. Its been sitting at $28.99 for a 40lb bag for weeks now at my local TSC. That's by far the lowest price I've found. Another local store had 20 lb bags for $18.99...which is ridiculous.

Its high dollar thats for sure.

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Its high dollar thats for sure.

And TSC is trying to "convince" people that BOSS is on sale by putting up signs reading "SAVE $5.00" on BOSS with the "sale amount" as $29.99 (40lb bag). SO, it makes it appear that BOSS was $34.99 and they reduced it to $29.99 - "the sale price" and that is a big fat LIE. That is false advertising. I always tell the cashiers that BOSS was always $29.99, so the sign must mean that BOSS is on sale for $24.99 (which in actuality would be a savings of $5.00). They always look at me strange and say, "No.". I watch those prices EVERY WEEK and I know what price BOSS is. So please make sure ya'll watch those prices at TSC. They are trying to trick us. [​IMG]

A marketing scam to make people buy BOSS. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by